Sunday, February 7, 2010

Geaux Saints!



I'm superstitious.

Betcha didn't know that. But I am. Which is why I am pulling out all of the stops. The Saints need to win the Super Bowl tonight. So break out your lucky rabbit's foot, wish on the next falling star and maybe even throw some prayers out there for the Saints tonight.

They just have to win. They have to.

When I was a child, I remember my dad sitting in front of the TV, drinking a beer and watching a Saints game. I would ask when it was going to be cartoon time. He would say "as soon as this quarter is over. Look, there's only 15 minutes left."

Let me tell you. Football has the longest measurement of time. Ever.

My dad was obsessed with football and being from Louisiana, he loved the Saints. Even though they were a losing team, he was faithful to them. Sadly, he's not here to witness this miraculous event. Still, I have no doubt that he's watching it on the largest HDTV big screen ever. Maybe God might reconsider prohibition for this one night. Maybe.

Now I'm not a big football fan. I understand touchdowns. But when you get into 3rd downs and the rest of the complicated jargon, I get lost. I can't even tell you if what I'm watching is a decent game. Quite frankly, they all look the same to me.

A few years ago, I had to take Matthew to the ER. He was running an abnormally high fever and it just wouldn't break. The waiting room TV was tuned into a Saints game. I whispered "Dad, if you are watching this, please give me a sign."

Of course, the Saints were losing. Horrendously. "If you are watching this, give the Saints a touchdown. No! If you are watching this, give them a touchdown and a field goal. No! If you are watching this, the Saints will win the game." Silly, I know.

But, I kid you not. The Saints made a touchdown. And then a field goal. And then I got called into another waiting room, where we sat for hours. When I got home, I watched the sports highlights and found that the Saints had actually won that game.

Coincidence? Perhaps. But I like to think dad is going to enjoy this game and is happy as sin that they've made it.

A few weeks ago, Matthew asked what my dad liked. I explained that he liked football (and women), motorcycles (and beer), and the Saints (and women and beer). Maybe Matthew will sit down and watch the game with me. This time, I might actually watch the game instead of fast-forwarding to the commercials. Those talking babies just kill me.

No comments: