Monday, November 21, 2011

Who said I'm not crafty? Oh, yeah. That was me.

My sister-in-law came across some furniture that needed a home.  It just so happened that I needed some furniture.

It wasn't ugly.  But it lacked character.  And the stains would not be removed.


The chair on the left is the "before chair".  The right chair is a "mid-after".

I had pulled the back of the chairs off with what my daddy would call "power by Armstrong".  What a tremendous pain!  What I did not know is that the previous owners had already reupholstered the chairs.  So there were staples upon staples that I did not remove.  The first chair was my experiment.  When it gets reupholstered later, the person is going to be like "WTHeck!".

I wasn't quite sure how I was supposed to get the fabric to stick to the wood backing.  The previous people had used a strong glue.  I had wood glue and it did not work on fabric.

But you know what does work on fabric?

Duct tape.

True story.

The second chair was previously reupholstered with staples...like from a paper stapler.  My heavy duty staple gun staples were too long for the back of the chair.  Nobody wants to sit in a chair full of staples.  Well, someone might.  But that's a personal issue for a later post.  But the small little paper staples worked perfectly!  And I happen to have a few boxes of them.  So I patiently stapled the fabric to the wood backing.  If I went too fast, the staples would bend.  My patience was tested, but I went real slow.

Really, incredibly slow.

This morning I woke up with a achy fingers and a sore arm.  But I was determined to finish this freaking project.  I found some nifty little staples for my heavy duty staple gun at Walmart.  (Who knew that they came in different sizes.)  Then things started moving faster.

The fabric is stapled to the wood backing with 1/4" staples.  The backs are stapled to the frame with 5/8" staples...hundreds of staples.  If you look closely at the top picture, you can see that I wasn't very careful about hiding the staples.  But I found some ribbon to cover them.



The hardest part was pulling everything off of the chairs and then reattaching the seat cushions to the chairs.

Three days later...


Tada!

The bench was purchased at Walmart.  It was originally black.  I painted it "leather" color.  I think it matches perfectly.  I'm thinking about getting some cushions that match the chairs.

Later.  Much later.

2 comments:

savannah920 said...

LOVE IT! Way to go Jonnie!

Jonnie Angel said...

Thank you, Savannah!