Wednesday, September 14, 2011

That'll cost how much?!?

My car died on me last week.  Luckily I was idling at Matthew's bus stop and not on my way home from work. The gas gauge was sitting on 1/4 tank, so I figured I wasn't out of gas.  Matthew and I walked the three blocks to our house.  I grabbed a gas can and my bike and put a gallon of gas in my car.  It started and I got it home safely.

Today I took it into a car garage in Palm Coast.  I prayed at every stop light that my car would not die on me.  Luckily, I made it.

I don't believe this garage to be shady.  Jaysen trusts them and that's good enough for me. 

However.

I don't think they have my best interest in mind.  They are, after all, running a business and will not make money by saving me money.

I asked them to please figure out why my car died and while you're at it, fix my AC.  They told me that I need new windshield wipers.  Which is true.  I could use some new windshield wipers. But that is not why my car died.

Then they said I need new radiator hoses, my brakes need to be adjusted, I need a tune up, the back tires need to be replaced and of course, I'll have to pay for an alignment.

When I dropped the car off, I explained that my money tree had died.  I told them from the beginning that I can't afford a lot of unnecessary stuff.  They're response?  "We offer 6 months interest free financing."

Credit is not the answer.  Credit is the reason why this country is in the mess that it is in.  Besides, I am closing my credit cards, I don't need new ones.  

The problem I have with mechanics is that you pretty much have to take them for their word.  I have one day to get my car fixed and I don't have the luxury of driving my car all over for an estimate.  If they tell me something is wrong with my car, I am not in any position to argue.  But when I ask "What do I absolutely need to have to get my car running?", don't make suggestions about things that aren't relevant.

Mechanic: "Well, your back tires need to be replaced."  
Me: "Okay.  If I don't replace them, will I have a blowout tomorrow or can it wait until pay day?"  
Mechanic: "You should be okay until pay day but I would definitely replace them."
Me: "Do I have to replace the radiator hose?"
Mechanic: "They are the original hoses."
Me: "Do they need to be replaced?"
Mechanic: "I'm required to tell you that they are the original hoses and they are hard.  So if you have them rupture tomorrow, you know why."

I still don't know if they need to be replaced or if they are just trying to sell me additional services.

I feel like this company didn't even try to find a more affordable option for me.  My problem was a relatively simple one.  Why did my car die?  The answer was not windshield wipers.

I pared the repairs / replacements down from $1000.00 to $530.00.  Of course, some of my other bills will have to wait.  At least my car is running.  They said they weren't able to get it to die for them and couldn't say for certain that it was the spark plugs and I can't help but feel like I was taken for a ride.

No comments: